Monday, July 9, 2012

Who is the Source? - identifying idolatry in our lives


“Their mother has been unfaithful and has conceived them in disgrace. She said, 'I will go after my lovers, who give me my food and my water, my wool and my linen, my olive oil and my drink.'…She has not acknowledged that I was the one who gave her the grain, the new wine and oil, who lavished on her the silver and gold — which they used for Baal.” – Hosea 2:5-8

Idolatry is placing our hope in anything other than God. In this passage, God is likening Israel to an unfaithful wife who is prostituting herself out to the gods of foreign nations. The imagery is provocative and carries high shock value. While it beautifully depicts God’s plans to break down and rebuild Israel into a nation whom He blesses abundantly, I couldn’t help but notice this simple verse which defines idolatry as the evil it is.

Idolatry substitutes God for something else. It attributes what only God can do to something else. Our modern culture scoffs at the archaic idea of bowing before a hand carved image and worshipping it as a supreme being. However, the reason why ancient cultures did so was to manipulate their circumstances. The ancients believed that these “god’s” actually carried authority over their crops, lands, fertility, rains, etc. They knew that if they wanted any chance at succeeding in life, they must please the local gods.

In this light, idolatry is not so foreign to us. Too often I find myself anxiously trying to manipulate my circumstances, massage the checkbook or credit card, make a social connection here which I hope will give me an advantage later, etc. I attribute my circumstances to what my hands alone can accomplish. In many ways, we become our own idol. Others tend to look to friends or spouses or children to meet our needs, financial and/or emotional. We rest our hope for a satisfying life in the words and actions of a loved one. The result can be catastrophic when (as it always does) that person makes a mistake or doesn’t come through for us. We are crushed. They have become our idols.

The Bible tells us that it is God who gives us the ability to make wealth. It is God who gives to us life and breath and all things for our enjoyment. Job said it was God who gives and takes away. That’s why Jesus told us not to worry about temporary things like food and clothes. We are to simply present our needs to God and seek His kingdom first. God will take care of us. Does this mean that we don’t have to do anything? No. But we relinquish control of the results and remember that unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain that build it.

Take some time today to thank God for all that He has given you. Present your needs to Him and cast your cares upon Him. Believe that He cares for you. Believe that He desires to give good gifts to His children. Ask Him to point out any habits rooted in an anxious desire to control our lives. Ask Him to reveal any actions which we refuse to bring under His direction. Tell Him that all of your hope, all your desire is in Him alone. If you can’t honestly pray that, ask Him to change your heart so you can.

1 comment:

  1. We are enjoying your blog Brian, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete